Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day 3 in Guatemala.

Day 3 of our trip and Day 2 in the clinic started at 6:45.. I may have woken up a bit late for my 7am shift. But Joelle and I made it alright.

Breakfast did not fail to disspaoint. I have definetly started to realize a trend of tortillas at every meal. It is definetly a staple food item for these people. I have yet to be disapointed with any people. The coffee has to be my facorite part. My parents will be happy to know I have tried so many new foods. The picky eater is not to be found this week.

Today I was partnered with nancy again on the men's side of the clinic. Our day started out slow, just checking vitals on our patients from last night and monitering their medications. Our day quickly become hectic as the surgeries for the day began and patients were admitted to recovery. Aparently today was the day for all the mens surgeries, or so it seemed. Tomorrow will be busy as well.

Later I was luck to be able to go to the OR observe. The first surgery I watched was a hernia removal. Dr. James was great! The next surgery I watched was a division of the fingers of a 10 month old baby boy. Such a beautiful baby. Dr. Fults did a great job as well. It was so cool just getting to see how it all is done. The last surgery i observed was a bladder stone removal. The stone was huge! Such a cool surgery to watch. We managed to fit 7 extra people in the OR just to watch.

Today I have learned how to IV infuse medication, remove IVs, apply a saline stop, how to chart, and I got to observe the basics of running an OR. Already I am feeling much more prepared for my upcoming nursing classes and clinicals. It's such an awesome feeling getting to try out my profession. It's exhausting, but so worth it at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers


Family