Sunday, August 5, 2012

Day 1 and 2 in Guatemala

Wow. My heart is so full. So happy. I can not stop smiling. Yesterday I made the journey to Gutemala. My first out of the country trip without my parents. You could say we were all a little apprehensive. But so far all is well! We arrived at the clinic yesterday and quickly began sorted the mass about of supplies we were blessed to be able to bring with us. I quickly realized I had not escaped the Texas heat or humidity. After sorting supplies and a quick tour around the dorm and clinic we settled in for an amazing first Guatemalan meal. And let me tell you- it was amazing. These woman can cook! I met with my team o recovery nurses, nursing students and caregivers and went off to bed, ready for a long day.
Today has been so full of blessings. I begun with another great meal then a church service with the local Guatemalan community. (This definitely had me wishing I had paid more attention to Spanish in high school. ) the afternoon began with surgeries. I was assigned a RN to work under and a wing of the clinic. I felt a bit nervous at first but quickly got into the swing of things. Checking vitals and mustering up what bit of Spanish Have been what my shift has looked like. The nurses here have been so great. I feel like I am already learning so much more than I have in school. Real hands on experience! Learning how to draw up meds, start IVs, check incisions, and just general patient care are all things I have learned. I am loving it! This makes me so excited to become a nurse! Tomorrow is when things will get hectic. Starting a Morning shift at 7am- 3pm and a whole day filled with surgeries. I can't wait! I will Try to post every night after my day!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are having such a wonderful experience and helping others at the same time. We love and miss you.

    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete

Followers


Family