Sunday, September 1, 2013

The 5th semester

Junior year has begun. I feel like the last 2 years have absolutely flown by. How can I be halfway (well 2 years and a semester) away from graduating. That much closer to the dreaded NCLEX. But also that much closer to my goal, my dream, becoming a nurse. This summer and past semester were both challenging ones. Full of hard conversations, tears, and finding myself. I look back on who I was when I first started this process. I have grown from an awkward insecure freshman to a more confident and independent person. I have made friends with some of the most amazing people. People who challenge and uplift me. People I hope to maintain friendships with the rest of my life.

But enough about my personal life

School has begun. Papers, tests, and projects have already been assigned. My First validation of the semester is out of the way and I am already feel more confident in this class than I did last semester. Repeating a class is never fun. And at times its embarrassing. But its not as uncommon as your might think. Science classes are HARD! Figuring out how you study and manage your time is a task in its self. Unfortunately I had to fail a class (or two) to figure it out. In the past two years I have learned that I have to say no. This is not something I am very good at. I love being involved with things. I love helping people and being there when someones in need. Which is all very good but at times I have to say no. I have to put my school work first, put my self first, and buckle down. I love what I am learning about. I love learning how the God made the human body to work and how we can use science to fix it. I can not wait till I actually get to put all this studying and late nights to use. But until then, Ill keep studying, I'll keep validating and stressing, I'll keep changing old peoples diapers and giving bed baths. One day it will all be worth it. When I have that RN next to my name.

5 comments:

  1. Hi!
    My name is Maddy Stewart, and I am a high school student who is interested in a future of nursing. For a school project, I am conducting interviews with nurses, to see if the career is right for me. Since I only know a few nurses in person, I set off to read nurses blogs and see if they would help me by being someone I could interview
    You seem like such a cool person, from the bit of your blog that I have read, and I was wondering if you would mind taking some time to answer my interview questions. Here they are if you are interested

    -What type of a nurse are you working toward being?

    -What challenges have you encountered in nursing school?

    -What steps led you to become a nursing student?

    -What made you interested in nursing? And when was that?

    -What are you’re plans for the future?

    -What recommendations do you have for me, as a student?


    If you don't want to answer them that Is completely fine. If you do answer them, I will tell you now that I can not thank you enough for taking the time. Thanks
    -Maddy

    you can respond at cowsrock602@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel, I often have a hard time saying no as well and end up with more than I can handle. Managing time wisely is always a difficult task, but like with all things you get better with it over time. Sciences classes always require more of a hands on type of approach when it comes to studying, which makes them much more difficult to prepare for than other classes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also worried about having to retake a science course. Chemistry has always been difficult for me and In high school I just got by with it. Having to retake a course is nothing to be ashamed of. Getting double the information will be helpful in the future. Some people will take longer to learn than others and thats ok, especially when it comes to Nursing. The only down side I could see to it is having to pay for the class again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same way. School felt like it took all the time I wanted to spend doing other things away.

    But those years seem short and distant in hindsight, and I've only been a nurse for less than a year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kelsie, I'm sending an invitation for a few nurse bloggers to pilot KevinsReview.com's new features. There's a bit of money in it for you as well. Contact me at kevin@examreviewexpert.com if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete

Followers


Family