Wednesday, May 13, 2015

A look back at my first semester. '

Finals are offically over (praise God) and I have successfully passed and completed my first semester of nursing school! For me this is a huge step. This time last year I was experiencing major doubts in my self and my choice in careers paths. I unfortunatly had been exposed to some very discouraging professors who caused me to quesiton and doubt a career path I had been certain of since I was 13. I was told I had a disability. I was told to I needed to look into other options and that I was not cut out for Nursing. I let them get inside my head. I spent the next two months in turmoil. I had no plan, no major and no idea of what the future held and that scared the crap out of me. I like plans. I like knowing exaclty what to expect and prepare for.  Sometimes its a blessing and sometimes its a curse as my anxiety tends to get the best of me. After many long days, lots of research and phone calls to my mom later I decided that those teachers were wrong. Nursing was all there was for me. I absolutely can not imagine doing anything else with my life. So I decided right then that no matter what it took I would be a nurse.

Getting through this semester was a big step in the right direction and also confirmed that I can do this. At this school I am surrounded by people and professors who actually believe in me. I have been encouraged, uplifted, and praised and it has boosted my self esteem and mentality by so much. I am here to tell you that if this is your path, if this is what you are meant to do then find a way and do it! It requires sacrifices. I have spent many nights with just me and my books color coding the mass amounts of information. Just because it doesn't come easy does not make it impossible. Ignore those people who barely have to study or those people who say it isn't worth it. Find your way to study and deal with the stress and push forward. It took me longer than I like to admit but I finally figured out how I need to study and what works for me. In 4 semesters I know I will be walking across that stage and be given my BSN and soon after that pass my NCLEX and be able to right RN after my name.

Now it is time for a much needed summer break. This is my first summer without school in over three years. I have always taken summer classes and now have none that can be taken. So I will be relaxing, recharging, and working so that I am recharged for the next semester. I also will begin studying for my NCLEX. Yes that's right I will be studying this summer for a test I won't be taking for another two years. I will be working through my NCLEX book and doing online kaplan questions. This helps keep my brain engaged and thinking how my instructors test. It also will keep me learning and I never want to stop that. I will keep you updated on my summer and preparations for my first full semester of psych and adult health clinical!

Happy Summer Ya'll!
Kelsie

6 comments:

  1. Hi there Kelsie, I'm Lindsey! I have a question and would love to speak with you. Could you please email me when you have a chance? I'd really appreciate it, thank you! I look forward to hearing from you :) lindseyDOTcaldwellATrecallcenterDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!! I just found your blog and I want to say thank you!! I love this blog post! I will be applying for nursing school next year when I Finnish my GE but lately I've been doubting if I'll be able to succeed as a nurse. I've been buying into satan's lie that I'm not good enough but I believe God has directed me to this post to set my mind at ease. I can't thank you enough!! I'm literally crying right now, this has helped me so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having almost completed my first year, I want to say that what you said here really speaks to me, as many people have been discouraging to me as a I desired to enter nursing school and become a nurse. But it's really about what God has planned for us, not man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having almost completed my first year, I want to say that what you said here really speaks to me, as many people have been discouraging to me as a I desired to enter nursing school and become a nurse. But it's really about what God has planned for us, not man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I like your blog, I also completed my first semester in nursing school last week

    ReplyDelete

Followers


Family