Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Life flight ride along... well almost

I was given the opportunity to sign up for a ride along with the Vanderbilt life flight team based out of Tullahoma. I was so excited for this opportunity to experience a day in the life of a life flight nurse and learn about this aspect of nursing! Unfortunately I was not able to actually ride on the helicopter due to not getting any calls that day but I did get to learn about what these nurses and paramedics do. Getting to see in the helicopter and ask questions was so eye opening. The amount of medical procedures and life saving measures that are able to be done in flight is amazing! I have always been drawn to trauma nursing, and life flight is as traumatic as it gets. I also got to see what a down day looks like for them. They are responsible for a lot of paper work and had to check the helicopter at the start of the shift. This is to make sure everything is in its place and ready should an emergency call come in. They have to be able to think fast and decide what medications or procedures are needed without a doctor calling out orders to them.

I never thought about doing life flight nursing until this day! The process of being hired is intense and requires 3 years in the critical care setting and numerous certifications but oh so worth it, at least it seems that way to me!

Thank you again to the Tullahoma Life Flight Crew for letting me spend the day at the base and answer all my questions about your amazing job!

1 comment:

  1. Very to the point post. Life http://write-my-essays.org/essayshark-com-review/ is bursting full of distractions and cynics who will discourage you. But it's important to remember that life is also full of opportunities.

    ReplyDelete

Followers


Family